The aims and mandates of LGBT CERN are laid out by the members and by the CERN Diversity Office.
The aims and mandates outlined in the Constitution are:
- To facilitate the integration of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender [LGBT] individuals within the CERN community and the surrounding area;
- To promote and provide a friendly social space for LGBT individuals for CERN community;
- To promote and provide cultural events relating to LGBT culture and issues;
- To organise and promote social, cultural and sports events, including those which encourage integration within CERN and the wider community;
- To raise awareness of LGBT issues and issues of importance to the LGBT community;
- To work, with CERN, to encourage wider acceptance and diversity at CERN.
The aims and mandates outlined by the Diversity Office are:
- To provide a point of contact for LGBT people who work at or on behalf of CERN
- To provide an information and support network to its members that fosters the integration of LGBT people working at CERN
- To provide a forum for discussion and dialogue on LGBT work-related issues
- To support the principle of creating a work environment based on mutual respect and inclusiveness with no discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity.
It is important to note that although there is a large amount of overlap between these two lists, the roles of the members and the roles of the CERN Diversity Office are distinct. By working together with CERN we do our best to fulfill all of our aims and mandates. These two lists may be consolidated into a single list in the future.